Home»Personal Injury»Premises Liability: Injured on Neighbor’s Property

Premises Liability: Injured on Neighbor’s Property

If you are injured on your neighbor’s property, there two different ways in which you can receive compensation for your injuries.

Homeowner’s Insurance: Medical Payments

The first avenue that an injured individual may receive compensation after being injured on another individual’s property is through the medical payments portion of the homeowner’s insurance. This portion of homeowner’s insurance typically reimburses up to $5,000 of medical bills for injuries that occur on the homeowner’s property. This may or may not cover the full amount of medical bills that result from the injury.

If the neighbor’s property is rented, there is often no recourse. 

Liability Insurance

Another way that an individual can receive compensation for an injury that occurs on a neighbor’s property is if they can find fault of the homeowner. The types of injuries that can be caused by fault are those that occur due to faulty areas of the property. For example, if an individual is injured on a broken step, or falls due to the fact that a railing is not properly installed, fault can be found on behalf of the homeowner. If a homeowner is aware of an area of their property that is not safe, or they have knowingly installed something ineffectively and someone else is injured as a result, they can be deemed at fault.

A liability claim can be made in addition to a medical payments claim. This allows the injured victim to receive the full amount of compensation that is deserved for their injuries, covering things such as medical bills, time off of work, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Premises Liability Claim

If you or a loved one has been injured on a neighbor’s property and you would like to learn what your legal options are and if you are able to make a liability claim, it is imperative that you contact a personal injury attorney.

When making a premises liability claim, the guidance of an experienced personal injury attorney is necessary to ensure that you end up receiving the full settlement that you deserve. Many individuals do not have experience in this area of the law, so hiring a professional who will work on your behalf to ensure that you receive the proper amount of compensation is crucial.

To speak to a personal injury attorney at Contrada & Associates, call 419.841.4400. You will have the opportunity to speak directly with an attorney about your legal options and ensure that you premises liability claim ends in a favorable settlement.

Written by

Attorney Charlie Contrada has been practicing law since 1979, focusing his career on personal injury, car accident, and mesothelioma cases. Over the years, Charlie has helped thousands of clients throughout Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan to receive the settlements that they deserve.

Leave a Comment