Home»Car Accident Injuries»What Should I do as a Witness of a Car Accident?

What Should I do as a Witness of a Car Accident?

There is much confusion when it comes to what bystanders should do if first on the scene of a car accident. There have been stories in the past in which an individual has attempted to help the victim of a car accident and instead found themselves in legal trouble.

The Good Samaritan law protects any bystander who assists someone after they have been involved in a car accident without expecting any type of reward for doing so. Good Samaritan laws are meant to protect those who help others for no reason other than pure kindness.

If a rescuer is getting paid (EMS, paramedics), they are expected to do their job correctly. This means if they make a mistake while rescuing someone, they are not protected under Good Samaritan laws.

Car Accident Bystander/Witness

If you are a bystander at the scene of the accident, the car accident attorneys at Contrada & Associates recommend doing the following:

  • Report the accident – if you are the witness of a car accident, you should immediately call the police and report the accident. The sooner the police and first responders can arrive to assist, the better the outcome will be for those involved.
  • Help the victims – if the first responders have not arrived at the scene of the accident and the injured car accident victims are requesting your help, assist them if you feel comfortable doing so.
  • Identify yourself – give your name and phone number to the individual involved in the accident that you believe is not at fault.

Car Accident Attorney

The car accident attorneys at Contrada & Associates have helped countless car accident victims with their personal injury cases. We have represented individuals and their families after being involved in injury accidents, helping them to receive the compensation that is deserved for the injuries sustained in the accident.

If you would like to speak to a car accident attorney about an accident that you were involved in, call our office at 419.841.4400. You will be able to speak directly to an attorney and learn what your legal options are.


Written by

Attorney Charlie Contrada has been practicing law since 1979, focusing his career on personal injury, car accident, and mesothelioma cases. Over the years, Charlie has helped thousands of clients throughout Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan to receive the settlements that they deserve.

Leave a Comment