5 Things to Consider When Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney
In the aftermath of being injured in a car accident, making the right decision of choosing the personal injury attorney to represent you can be intimidating and overwhelming. Hiring the wrong lawyer could cause you to be injured twice.
- Make sure the lawyer spends most of his time handling car accident cases. There are hundreds of specific areas of law and they are all different and it is impossible for any one lawyer to be good at more than a few areas. Don’t hesitate to ask them how many years they have been doing car crash cases and how many they have handled in total.
- If the lawyer doesn’t volunteer his fee arrangement, don’t hesitate to ask questions about attorney fees. This may feel uncomfortable but it will benefit you to know how fees and expenses are broken down so you can fully understand what different charges mean.
- Ask the attorney if he will take your phone calls personally if an important issue arises. Much of the work in a personal injury law firm is done by paralegals, but it is nice to know that if you absolutely need to talk to your lawyer, he will be available and will return your call promptly.
- Ask the lawyer what your case is worth on your very first meeting. If the lawyer does anything but defer, he probably has not handled many injury cases. No lawyer who knows what they are doing has any idea what the value of the case is until he looks at the medical records, bills, lost wages and the effect it has had on your life.
- Since you and your attorney will be spending some time together, you want to be comfortable enough to tell him about any specific problems you may have that have resulted from the accident. Building up a good rapport is always important and don’t hesitate to meet whatever paralegal will be assigned to your case. If you are not comfortable with the lawyer, it is time to move on.
If you have been injured in a car accident, don’t sign or say anything. Contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss your case. Attorney Charles V. Contrada will explain your legal options, guide you through the process.
To speak to attorney Charles V. Contrada about a car accident in Ohio or Michigan, call 419.841.4400. Charles has helped thousands of individuals with car accident claims and will explain the legal options that are available to you. Call Contrada & Associates for comprehensive legal guidance that will help you to receive the most favorable outcome.